JSC "Information-analytical centre" MES RK held the international conference "Trilingual education: national and international experience" on November 23-24, 2016, which the members of the Academy – Mamyrhanova M. A., chief academic Secretary, and Abylgazina A. E. , Director of the Center for professional education – have attended.
Welcome speech and presentation on the current state in secondary education was made by Zhontayeva J. A. – the Director of Department of preschool and secondary education MES RK.
In the plenary session main reports were made by international experts:
- William Fierman, Professor Emeritus of Indiana University (USA) "Overview of language issues in Kazakhstan: language policy, sphere of use and learning languages";
- Elite Olshtain, Professor Emeritus of Hebrew University in Jerusalem (Israel) "Trilingualism: individual and social aspects. The implementation of trilingualism at school";
- Hugo Baetens-Beardsmore, Emeritus Professor of Brussels University (Belgium) "Existing programs of trilingual education in Europe – practice and challenges";
- Fred Genesee, Professor Emeritus of McGill University (Canada) "Trilingual education: tips for principals";
- Anvey Feng, Professor and head of the school of education the University of Nottingham in Ningbo (China), "Trilingual education in the context: lessons from the practice of China";
- Cathleen Hughes, associate Professor, University of South Australia "Translanguaging" as an opportunity to expand and strengthen the trilingual languagerepertoire of students";
- Mark Waistell, founder and managing partner of the international language school and consulting company Accent International (UK) "the Use of English as the language of education";
- Peter Mehisto, honorary research fellow, Institute of education, University College London (UK) "Preparing for a large-scale transformation and management of it".
The director of JSC "IAC" – Irsaliyev S.A. – presented to the conferees the results of study of the Republic of Kazakhstan schools and universities readiness to the phased implementation of training in three languages.
The conferees were given the opportunity to participate in work of 24 practical seminars where the topical issues in trilingual education were discussed.
The staff of the Academy attended workshops on "Quality assurance of trilingual programs" and "Methodologies and methods of research in trilingual education".